Tuesday, December 25, 2012

It gives me pause

Try as we might to make sense of tragedies like school shootings, there are more questions than answers. I'm an observer by nature. Theories regarding mental illness, gun control, and a "Godless" world befuddle us.

One thing I know is that it got our attention. It caused us to pause and look into the eyes of our children, smile at strangers, and commit to our faith that God has a revelation for us. Perhaps pain and sorrow must come before that stream of consciousness. The conscious thought that each one of us as individuals define as the lesson of the tragedy.

My eyes saw families going through horror with grace. My heart said I need to love more tenderly and listen to the lessons I have been taught, be a helper. It all comes back to the wisdom of a 4 year old.

My mind has leapt into my own reality.  For me, the world was moving too quickly and being self absorbed caused me to look down, tragedy shattered that mode...my eyes are seeing again. It's time to hold out my hand, listen a little more, and embrace the nudge in my soul.  I'm not lost.  I am listening,  I am obedient, and I choose to stand in the light.

After all, I am a helper.

No comments:

Post a Comment